Right wing commentary on world politics from a man on a mission to prove that Conservatism transcends national boundaries. Thoughtful comments from people of all political persuasions are welcome and encouraged. Contact the blogger at elephantman.conservaglobe@gmail.com.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

New Feature: PERSON OF THE WEEK

I spent some time on Monday thinking about how TIME magazine names their Person of the Year every December (Don't ask why, I just was). And then I thought about how, over the last few years, they have always made politically correct choices that didn't fit their description: "the person who most affected the events of the year, for better or for worse". Think about it: Rudy Giuliani was a great guy, but he didn't fit that description. The only reason that he got picked in 2001 was because TIME knew that they would lose readers if they gave the title to Osama bin Laden (who, by definition, had earned it). The same went in 2003, when TIME didn't want to credit Bush for American military involvement in the Middle East, so the title went to "The American Soldier" (Which is a copout, because the point is to pick the ONE person who affected the world). Bush did win in 2004, but only because they could criticize him about the war at that time (My pick was, unfortunately, Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi).

So, then I got to thinking that, since I have a blog now, I could pick my own Person of the Year without concern for political correctness. Then I realized that, as I publish far more often than TIME's once per week, I could name not only a Person of the Year, but also a Person of the Month and a Person of the Week. So, that is exactly what I'm going to do.

I will use TIME's exact definition for my choices for Person of the Month and Year. This would not be feasible for Person of the Week, because then Bush would win every other week. So, my definition will be "the person who, in my mind, made either the most news or the most noteworthy piece of news over the course of the week). No punches will be pulled, if I think that an evil (and/or liberal) person made the most or best news, then they will win. Also, I will try not to cop out often: I will not name large population segments as Person of the Week (it defeats the purpose), and I will only name inanimate objects Person of the Week if they totally dwarf any contribution made by humans (Hurricane Katrina would have won last week).

PERSON OF THE WEEK WILL BE POSTED EVERY SUNDAY.

PERSON OF THE MONTH WILL BE POSTED ON THE LAST DAY OF EVERY MONTH.

PERSON OF THE YEAR WILL BE POSTED ONE WEEK BEFORE TIME REVEALS THEIR CHOICE (I want to put in my choice first so that I can't deliberately chose a different person than they did)

So, remember to check back every Sunday to find out the identity of ConservaGlobe's Person of the week. This weeks choice will be posted within the next hour.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home