Right wing commentary on world politics from a man on a mission to prove that Conservatism transcends national boundaries. Thoughtful comments from people of all political persuasions are welcome and encouraged. Contact the blogger at elephantman.conservaglobe@gmail.com.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Benevolent dictatorship in Mauritania?


Now this is interesting. The new military regime in Mauritania has said it will instate a full democracy within the next two years and then relinquish its power. A lot of juntas say that they will eventually make way for democracy, but I've never heard a definite time table.

Now, I'm still extremely skeptical. I stand by my previous post, and I really don't think that a lot of progress will be made. But if Mauritania becomes a REAL democracy (which does not include Saddam Hussein style elections, where "vote or die" has a whole new meaning) then I will be very impressed. So, could there possibly be such a thing as a good military junta?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home