Right wing commentary on world politics from a man on a mission to prove that Conservatism transcends national boundaries. Thoughtful comments from people of all political persuasions are welcome and encouraged. Contact the blogger at elephantman.conservaglobe@gmail.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Person of the Year is coming...stay tuned

I'm sorry I haven't been posting lately, but you have to cut a college student some slack during finals. I'm still here, and Person of the Week will resume this coming Sunday.

Now the big news...it's that special time of year again, and no, I don't mean not the Holidays. I mean the time of year when I renew my grudge match against TIME magazine. As a former lover of TIME's "Person of the Year" award, I have been extremely dissapointed in thier choices since 2001. They have shirked their self-imposed duty to name the person who affected the world the most, "for good or evil" by selecting politically correct, sugarcoated choices. I think I can do better (which is more a comment on their journalism than a statement of self-importance), which is why I name a rival Person of the Year every December. Therefore, I will award the title of "Person of the Year 2006" before the end of this week - and yes, I've already decided who it is.

For their part, TIME has released a list of nominees at www.cnn.com/poy, and I have to say that it is a far better list than those of the last few years. Is my choice on that list? Well, yes and no...you'll have to wait an see what that means.

2 Comments:

At Fri Dec 15, 02:10:00 AM MST, Blogger JB said...

Interesting list Time's got there...Gore's been in the public eye a lot, but I'm not really ready to say he's actually DONE much of anything. And why isn't Tony Blair on the list?

And HOW could they have selected Bono last year? Good grief.

 
At Sat Dec 16, 01:37:00 AM MST, Blogger Adam Brickley, aka "ElephantMan" said...

I agree on Gore - and I was infuriated by their choice last year as well. I would respect them if they chose Ahmadenijad, Kim Jong Il, or MAYBE Hugo Chavez. Bush would be an interesting choice, but they're not going to give it to him, and Condi Rice hasn't done enough to earn the award. I kind of like their nomination of the YouTube inventors - that website did shake the world this year, though I do think that more important things happened.

Blair would be interesting, but I don't know if you could say that he's done more than anyone else in the entire world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home