Right wing commentary on world politics from a man on a mission to prove that Conservatism transcends national boundaries. Thoughtful comments from people of all political persuasions are welcome and encouraged. Contact the blogger at elephantman.conservaglobe@gmail.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

My position on Ukraine.

I wrote last week that I was not sure which side to support after the Ukrainian government brought about by the "Orange Revolution" split into two factions upon President Viktor Yuschenko's dismissal of Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko. I have now decided to take sides.

As you may know, President Yushchenko's nominee for Prime Minister was rejected by parliament a few days ago. Not willing to accept this result, Yushchenko nominated the same man a second time. In order to ensure that his choice passed this time around, the President formed a political alliance with the "Party of Regions", led by former Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovich. If you don't remember, Yanukovich was Yushchenko's rival for the Presidency in last year's election. Yanucovich was the annointed successor of dictator Leonid Kuchma, and his "victory" in the rigged presidential election was the event which sparked the "Orange Revolution" in the first place! This is a step back for democracy in Ukraine, and the people should not tolerate it. I therefore emplore the people of Ukraine to return Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko to power in the coming parliamentary elections.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Fri Sep 23, 12:25:00 AM MDT, Blogger Adam Brickley, aka "ElephantMan" said...

Thanks for the input. It is nice to get perspective from locals, as I am not there and can't see everything that you can.

I agree that Tymoshenko is not much better, and my first post on the subject (I think it was about a week ago) did detail my worries that the Tymoshenko government was corrupt. It just seemed, from my vantage point, that Tymosheko might have been the lesser of to evils.

Maybe I would have thought differently if I had access to the same amount of Ukrainian news that you do, but I had to make my judgements based on the meager amount I got from the BBC and the Associated Press. Thanks again for the information!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home