Right wing commentary on world politics from a man on a mission to prove that Conservatism transcends national boundaries. Thoughtful comments from people of all political persuasions are welcome and encouraged. Contact the blogger at elephantman.conservaglobe@gmail.com.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Brief thoughts on Katrina

The primary reason that I have not been posting lately is that, like most of America, I have been too busy watching my television in horror as Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast. This is a political blog, and Katrina was not a political story. I figured that my best course of action would be to respectfully shut my trap and leave the coverage to the professionals in the media, who could do a much better job of showing you what was going on than I ever could. However, there are a few things that I want to say; partially because I don't want to seem oblivious by not posting on the subject at all, and partially because I am disgusted by some of things I have heard since Katrina hit. So here is my brief opinion:

This is a time to band together and help our brothers and sisters in need, not a time for making political hay. We can talk about global warming, preserving the wetlands, and saving the whales at a later date. Right now, we need to concentrate on helping people whose lives have been shattered. I DO NOT CARE whether this is the result of increased CO2 levels; I DO NOT CARE about the Kyoto Protocol; and I DO NOT CARE about whether or not we leave wetlands undeveloped. What I care about is whether or not people in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama are receiving food, water, and shelter. So, to the radical environmentalists who see this as a golden opportunity to crusade for their cause, I say this: Show a little respect for all of the people who lost their homes (if not their lives) in this storm and do not use their loss for your political gain. We can talk about the political issues AFTER we are sure that all of Katrina's victims are safe, warm, and fed.

IF ANYONE READING THIS HAS THE MONEY TO DO SO, PLEASE DONATE TO A GOOD CHARITY SUCH AS THE AMERICAN RED CROSS DISASTER RELIEF FUND.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home